What is Diabetes?

 

November is National Diabetes Month, and I wanted to bring attention to this disease because it allows me an opportunity to learn more about myself. When I was younger, I used to hear people refer to diabetes as, “SUGAR”. They would say things like, “so-in-so has SUGAR”, (meaning that they had a disease called, Diabetes).  


I’ve learned that diabetes is a metabolic disorder in which the body has high sugar levels for prolonged periods of time. I wasn’t sure what a metabolic disorder was, so I looked that up as well. The definition that I located on Wikipedia describes it as being a disorder that negatively alters the body’s processing and distribution of macronutrients, (such as proteins, fats, and carbohydrates).


To get a better understanding of the disease, I found a short, animated video that explains what diabetes is. The video was produced by Diabetes UK & it provides a very good explanation of what diabetes is.  https://youtu.be/wZAjVQWbMlE

Comments

Mrs. B said…
Thanks Ro for enhancing our knowledge of this prevalen⁶t disease among African Americans.
Mrs. B said…
Thanks Ro for enhancing our knowledge of this prevalent disease among African Americans.
Ms. Ro RED said…
You're welcome Mrs.B.
Thx for always stopping by :-)

Popular posts from this blog

The Struggle IS REAL!!

Who do YOU say, "I AM"?

What doesn’t kill us makes us STRONGER!!