There’s VALUE in what you have to offer

 

I saw a short clip of the Kelly Clarkson show the other day where Kimora Lee Simmons was mentoring a very young designer. When asked what were some of the things the young designer learned while interning with Kimora, she stated, “I learned that you must have tough skin because not everyone will like your designs”. Kimora agreed with the young lady and mentioned that in the fashion industry, even though you might have a great product, not everyone is going to want what you have

I experienced something similar myself, while modeling several years back with a group out of Nashville called, ‘Figures of Nashville, inc’ (FONI). During that time, I had the pleasure of meeting some wonderful Sister Friends. This was a PLUS size model troop that had women from all walks of life. There were professional singers, radio personalities, Teachers, Hair stylists, Doctors, Attorneys, etc. It was there that I met some of the most confident women that I’ve ever encountered who were all shapes and sizes who helped teach me how to be confident with the body that I lived in and how to “work it”. I can remember one of the ladies instructing us on how to practice walking, outside of our regular rehearsals. She suggested that while we’re at the grocery store shopping, that’s a great opportunity to practice our form. I can remember taking her advice while shopping in Wal-Mart as I held my head erect and walked down the aisle with my back straight in model formation while pushing my buggie. LOL! It was amazing how that little exercise helped boost my confidence while teaching me how to walk like a model in public. 

Even though I had some great mentors and great advice on how to exude confidence and work with what I had, I also experienced some negative vibes from designers where I had to grow tough skin as Kimora Lee Simmons’s young mentee did. That’s an industry that can sometimes be brutal. I can remember going for a ‘fitting’ and having a designer (who was still in design school), ask me to try on one of her ‘creations’. It was a form fitting dress, (that I loved). She decided that she didn’t need my body type at that time. Well, that was perfectly OK. However, I felt somewhat dismissed by her in the way in which she relayed that message to me. None-the-less, I moved onto the other designers who needed and wanted my body type for their creations.

To my surprise, the following year, the dismissive designer returned to the show and used me to model that same piece. I don’t even know if she remembered me from the year prior, but I remembered her. However, I certainly didn’t hold a grudge, so I happily obliged. I feel that our life experiences provide opportunities for us to learn lessons that we can pass onto others. Here’s what I learned from that experience… The importance of being confident in yourself, in your abilities, as well as in your product (whatever that product may be), and not letting anyone dictate who you are or the value of what you have to offer.

Comments

Mark Omega said…
This is good. Thanks.
Cheryl G said…
Thank you for sharing some inciteful and thought provoking conversations. This is good stuff
Ms. Ro RED said…
Cheryl G, Thx Sis😘

Popular posts from this blog

The Struggle IS REAL!!

Who do YOU say, "I AM"?

What doesn’t kill us makes us STRONGER!!