Master Meal Prepping

 

Have you ever ‘meal prepped’? I’ve been doing it for quite a few years now. However, the version of what I do is referred to as ‘batch cooking’ and I didn’t even realize that it had a name. I was talking to my sister one day and mentioned to her how I usually prepare my meals. She told me that this was actually a form of ‘meal prepping’. The only difference is that I’m not storing each individual meal in containers. I’m utilizing one day out of the weekend, cooking the foods that I’m going to consume during the week, storing them in the fridge, and then reheating them when I’m ready to eat. For me, there is no need to freeze my food because I’ll be eating it before the week is up.

Last June 2021, I injured my ankle and was off my feet for a while. When the injury initially occurred, my neighbors, Bruce & Madonna were so kind & helpful to me & my dog during that crucial time. They would bring me meals so that I would not have to be in the kitchen preparing food. Madonna shared with me that she ‘meal preps’ for the week. She seemed to be an expert at it, and everything was always so well organized. I explained to her that I had attempted to meal prep using individual storage containers, but that it just didn’t work for me. Guess what? I now know how to ‘meal prep’ (using individual containers) because this past Christmas Madonna gifted me a ‘meal prep’ kit complete with instructions, labels, recipes, etc. 

Below are some benefits that I’ve experienced from meal prepping… or, ‘batch cooking’:

I can eat healthier by meal prepping as long as I stick to the planned meals. Also, preparing my meals ahead of time helps me save lots of time during the week. I usually prep on a Sunday or Saturday and then I enjoy the fruits of my labor throughout the week without having to worry about what I’m going to eat. I can also cut down on waste and I save money when I know what to purchase and I’m not eating out every day. 

Below is a link from the healthline.com website that provides very useful information on how to master meal prepping from a nutritionist’s perspective:

5 Hacks This Nutritionist Uses to Master Meal Prepping (healthline.com)

Comments

Jameco said…
Thanks for the info. I need to get back to doing this. It is definitely a good way to eat healthier.
Unknown said…
This is really helpful snd will save me so much time preparing my meals.
Linda V
>l<
Ms. Ro RED said…
@Jameco 🤗YW🤗
I'm going to challenge myself to slowly move into using the individual containers🙃
Ms. Ro RED said…
Helloooo Ms. Linda V 😘
Glad you stopped by & I'm glad this was helpful for you🤗
Mrs. B said…
Meal prep...interesting. I would have to see how it works for a family. Thanks Ro!
Ms. Ro RED said…
Lots of ppl swear by it Mrs. B🤷🏾
Madonna Fauth said…
We love you and Auggie. It was a blessing to feed you. I know how it is when you feel like pooh pooh and are still hungry and dont feel like cooking. Since my injury 23 years ago, I can not garden, work in my flower beds and do SO many things I use to love. I have adapted to container gardening to help a little. I use to HATE cooking, but with Passionate Penny Pincher, I began to see just how easy it could be if I PLANNED A LITTLE. I DO make freezer meals for those days when I still dont feel like cooking. It's like anything new. There is a Learning Curve, and you must give yourself GRACE. Women are just too dang hard on themselves. Love you RoRo AND AUGGIE!

Popular posts from this blog

The Struggle IS REAL!!

Who do YOU say, "I AM"?

What doesn’t kill us makes us STRONGER!!